Friday, February 5, 2010

An Education


Yesterday I took a study break and went to go see an afternoon showing of An Education. I went to see it at this great little theater in the west village called Quad Cinema. It was a nice change from the big and overcrowded chain theaters that I usually go to. Not only does the theater have a cozy feel and a nice selection of independent films, it also has delicious popcorn!

The movie was terrific. It's a story about a 16 year old girl, Jenny (played by Carey Mulligan), coming of age in 1960s London. Her entire life is centered around school and preparing for Oxford University. Until, that is, she meets the much older and charming David (Peter Sarsgaard). David introduces her to an entirely different and exciting world. The more time she spends with him, the harder it gets to keep her focus on her academic aspirations. The story is enticing and you find yourself wanting more and more. The acting is also superb. In my opinion Mulligan definitely deserves the Oscar for best actress in a lead role! The supporting actors that round out the cast are also great. Overall, two thumbs up. I would definitely recommend seeing this movie. I'd also recommend checking out Quad Cinema if you want a change of pace from your usual movie theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment